OBSERVERS ON YOUR BOAT
Both of us refused to take observers on last season’s Hectors dolphin programme.
We need you to highlight the problems you had to deal with by accommodating that extra person aboard. And answer some “yes or no” straight forward questions.
The Ministry of Fisheries has so far been uncooperative in supplying the boats who took observers so we cannot do a full mail out.
1. Was there sufficient space and facilities aboard your vessel for an extra person? Yes/no
2. Were you satisfied the observer had sufficient sea going experience and was a fit and proper person to have aboard? Yes/no
3. Did carrying that extra person cause you to lose any sea time or cause disruption to your normal fishing operations? Yes/no
4. Was your liability for any injury to the observer made clear to you before going to sea with that person? Yes/no
5. Would you voluntarily take another observer to sea on future fishing trips? Yes/no
PLEASE RELATE ANY PARTICULAR INCIDENTS THAT WERE A CONCERN TO YOU ON ANY OF THE FISHING TRIPS.
A question we all might ask is when is enough, enough?
Setnetters who have taken observers over several years have been rewarded by ground closures with serious economic consequences.